Orientation and Mobility Specialist
The Orientation and Mobility Specialist will work with certified staff members that possess a team mentality and are always open to change. Degree in Visual Studies or related field preferred and have ACVREP, COMS certification or will earn within one year of employment.
The Orientation and Mobility Specialist is responsible for the planning and delivery of individualized instruction in orientation and mobility for blind and visually impaired clients.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Conduct home-based pre-assessments of clients’ needs for training that will allow them to travel safely in various environments.
- Write an individualized instruction plan with clear goals for instruction in conjunction with the client.
- Escort and/or transport clients as necessary for O&M lessons.
- Provide instruction in conjunction with individualized instruction plan.
- Evaluate client progress and and make recommendations for further training if appropriate.
- Conduct client post-assessments to determine effectiveness of program.
- Complete and enter into database all reports and statistical information required by Lighthouse and funding sources such as DBS to document client progress including evaluations, goals, daily and monthly progress, prior to established deadlines.
- Assist in the development of needed community resources and education through in-service training programs.
- Provide classroom instruction for the Orientation and Mobility component of the Adjustment to Vision Loss course as needed.
- Attend meetings and trainings as needed.