Job Placement Assistant
The Job Placement Assistant is primarily responsible for assisting in guiding persons with visual impairments during and following the completion of the online Lighthouse Employment Services Training Program. The Job Placement Assistant will assist in seeking paid job opportunities, paid and non-paid internships, and WBLE/work experiences for Lighthouse clients with visual disabilities with local and national employers,community, and government organizations.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Establish and maintain relationships with local employers, business and government organizations, and community groups to develop job leads for individuals with visual disabilities.
- Assist in developing job opportunities and internships for vocational rehabilitation participants with visual disabilities.
- Build and strengthen family relationships for Lighthouse clients with vision loss.
- Research and maintain current job listings and develop resources for individuals with visual impairments to identify current job openings related to their identified career goal.
- Attend job fairs, and community outreach events to promote employer awareness of potential qualified people with visual disabilities.
- Assist in assessing the training, experience, and personal qualifications of program participants and matches them with employer’s required qualifications.
- Assist Lighthouse clients as needed in attending job interviews, new employee orientations and training, and perform job coaching when necessary.
- Responsible to procure guest speakers, preferably individuals with visual impairments, to volunteer as guest speakers to present content online or the Employment Services Training Program. Guest speakers can include business owners, career specialists, informational guest speakers, etc.
- Assist and visit local employers to evaluate job content, working
environment, and the ability of the employer to meet job accommodations and solutions to employment barriers.
- Assist with Lighthouse online Employment Services Training Program, ex. job search techniques including interviewing strategies, resume preparation, cover letter development and dress and personal grooming, etc.
- Discuss strategies and procedures for disability disclosure during the hiring
process with individuals with visual impairments and assists in advising clients on how to request disability accommodation in the workplace.
- Assists in gathering, analyzing, and maintaining data and statistical information to evaluate effectiveness of services and to identify goals to meet individuals with visual disabilities and program needs.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining professional and collaborative working relationships with members of a diverse community, including employers, community organizations and state and local government agencies.
- Maintain necessary contact as required with Vocational Rehabilitation Career Manager, DBS counselors, Lighthouse clients,employers, community organizations, and state and local government agencies.
- Attend meetings and trainings as needed.